Thursday, March 31, 2005

coke can lantern

Made a lantern today. Used a coke can, but had to spoil one first. The tough part was making a hole in it. The pen knife didn't work well, and as usual I tried to use the hammer and a screwdriver. Didn't work. All I got was a lump of twisted aluminum, then used those pliers that cut wires, and was able to cut through the aluminum, and I ended up making this.
Pretty simple to do, saw it for the first time in some small boat while going to elephanta caves long ago. Wanted to make it ever since, but got a chance only last year when I bought a can and did it in the classroom of the old division E. Did it twice last year. One was crushed because I tied it behind A's back, and he was irritated, the other hangs over my door right now.



It also has a piece of string on top that was stolen from the SIES room on the bottom floor next to the sports room. Today, I made this. Cut the can up properly, into twelve more or less equal parts, did NOT cut myself like the last two times, and added an extra effect by making strips of different colored cellophane paper and putting it in the can. Thought I had put too much, and I wouldn't get any light out. But fortunately, the effect was brilliant, and woohoo... the photo does not show the aura-like projection of the cellophane paper on my wall. Had to disable the flash... but this is nowhere near the real thing. Probably have to take a video of it. Ah well. Got an Idea though, might use a small battery powered fan at the far end, and use little bits of cellophane paper on the inside that flies around. Then the effect would be supercool. But I have to find such a small fan. I remember that my grand aunt has one. It is one of those small toy fans that rotate on a battery. I could possible make one using metal or plastic, but that would be way too much trouble. There is also the problem of mounting it. Ah well... at least its an idea.





unable to capture it as it really is though...

No comments: