Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Rain rain go away






I know I said I would blog the images later, but they all turn up together at the top, so I wont bother.

Today was just the aftermath. And the images will be blogged later. The stock market is booming, but nothing else is. My parents spent the nights at their respective workplaces, and I spent my first night alone at home. It was not the big hooplah that I thought it would be when I was young, but it was fun nonetheless. The extent of my anarchy was to play music all night long. A friend spent the night on a train, and I have no idea about another bunch that went to Bandra day before yesterday. Traffic is in a standstill all over Mumbai, with people abandoning their vehicles to go home. At least 30 are dead, and that’s just in my part of the city, and that’s more than the count of all the London blasts put together.
I also took two videos, one of the bunch of fallen trees near talao pali, and another one the broken wall, to show it in its entirety. There was no food because parents were too tired to cook, so I survived on half a pizza all day. Actually, I survived on half a pizza, half a chakli, two pongal undes, six pieces of banana chips and two marshmallows. And yeah, a spoonful of sugar. These are the biggest rains Mumbai has faced in a 100 years at least. College closed today, donno if I have to try and go tomorrow. The CM has declared a red alert all over Mumbai, and also a red alert particular to Sion, that’s where my college is.
I bet the gurukripa area is totally flooded. There are many open manholes there… will have to see about that.
Interesting thing one guy said about the rains is that the system cannot handle four hours of rains, and that they say they are prepared for a potential tsunami.

Here are the headlines from NDTV. four of the seven are related to mumbai Rains

Fire at ONGC's drilling platform, 3 killed
Rains wreak havoc in Mumbai
Landslides claim 56 lives in Mumbai
Employment Bill will be passed: Sonia
Mumbai rains hit Ahmedabad air traffic
Rupan case: SC upholds Gill's conviction
Kupwara families turn down compensation
click here for the story.

No comments: