Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Blog anniversary

A little more than a year ago, I saw my first and only shooting star. It was an amazing moment. The event itself lastef for maybe a second, possibly less. I still remember it as if it was yesterday. A small streak of yellow winked across the sky, and it was done. I stared at te sky for a long time that night, and slowly, the universe fell into place around me. A very interesting thing happened, I know it is impossible to actually see the stars in perspective, but I began to imagine it. I guess it works as well. Instead of a covering for the world, I began to see the universe as this messy place with all sorts of things scattered around. The stars had real distance...space made real sense... it was mind blowing. I just had to write it down, and ACTUALLY writing in a diary was too much trouble. I had wasted too many diaries after writing only one or two entries... so I started a blog. Not this one, it was in another site, and I forgot where it was. I forgot the very name of the blog. But this one came along say half a month later... it was a much better site. I thought I would stick to it this time, and now blogging has grown into me.
First there was innocent cypress, the name chosen on a poem that I think is very silly now. For almost eleven months, I used to address the blog itself as "you". until recently, commenting was not a very important part of blogging for me. I merely used it as a diary... for a larger, and mostly anonymous audience. The intention was simple: an online journal of my activities. That's how, for a few days, I was blogging about what I had for breakfast. Thankfully, that has ceased now. I now blog somewhat more meaningful blogs.
I think blogging is the ultimate form of introspection. You get to write a review of your day, every day, and I for one believe, that this helps in making one a better person. When you interact with others blogs, you actually learn from the expirience of others. Some people think that blogging is for people with no lives who are living it through the net. They cannot be more wrong, by blogging you are actually milking out more life than what nature allots. There was initially no medium where mundane little things that happen to normal people found expression for a large audience. Blogging came along and satisfied this need perfectly. It also creates a shield between the blogger and the reader, it is not as personal as having a face to face talk. There is no care for any consequences that could occur for being truthful. You are laid bare, but you do not feel vulnerable.
Which, is a very special feeling.

1 comment:

Goan Pao said...

many many happy writtens of the day. writing a blog has definitely put some perspective in my life...though reading other blogs has helped me more. I see I'm not the only lonely person, that people other than me like the things I like, all said and done for the first time I'm using the Internet with any beneficial purpose.
I used to keep a diary when I was younger, my only reason for doing so was my sister had one...but now I blog just to keep a journal on the stuff i do, maybe later in life I can look back and say man I did some pretty idiotic stuff in my day..and feel proud of myself.