Sunday, September 04, 2005

Killing time

Contemplating starting a poetry a day blog...
anyway, this one:
Killing time

Time is such a funny thing you see
It goes on and on for all eternity
Maybe it is by which the sun rides the day
Or by which all heavy elements decay
Or yet simply the evolution of the mind
It will forever be, and forever be undefined

For time is such a confusing mess
There is so much of it, yet so very less
It exists without end or beginning
Without corroding itself, it corrodes everything
And all the greatest things merely pass it by
It will live on even when entire universes die

And now I am writing this stupid rhyme
I am just bored and want to kill some time
But I can see that it will be
That time will end up
killing me

There is this guy called Roger McGough, and I consider his poem called survivor the best one ever written by anyone.



It gets to the root of any piece of poetry ever written:

Survivor
Roger McGough

Everyday
I think about dying.
About disease, starvation,
Violence, terrorism, war,
The end of the world.

It helps
Keep my mind off things.

No comments: