Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Photogenic second hand book sellers

So we were walking across this vegetable shop, and hanging along with all the bananas and packets of corn, was a mobile phone! It wasn't funny that the vegetable seller owned a mobile, but that he had found it fit to hang it with the rest of the fruit. Here is a picture taken by a friend, but he is not very proficient at using the mobile camera, so you miht not be able to make much out.
Anyway, so we roamed around with the mobile camera, my friend learning how to use it and taking pictures of absolutely mundane things like the second hand books. Can't even call it a stall, there was jsut a cardboard box between the stall and the floor .

Then suddenly, he asked the seller if he would mind if he took a pic of him. The seller was pretty excited by the prospects, and posed for us.




What was funny was asking him to do so. We found out that it was almost impossible to ask someone for a snap in hindi, without the question having connotations.

"Kya aapka kheech sakte hai?"
"Kya aapka le sakte hai?"
Variants include, aapka lena hai, apka bhi le? (which was what my friend ended up saying)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

About your LOTR post, I was pretty much stumped by the questionaire u put up. Think its about time I read the book again.

And you can pretend to be an elf you know!

Anorion said...

I do I do. My name, Anorion, was derived from the sindarin roots of anor=sun (from Minas Anor) and ion=son(Telerion). What happened was that my named Aditya, means the Sun, but the sun is female in LOTR, so that would be pretty weird as my nick name. I coined Anorion and then found out that Anar is a variant for the sun, and Anarion was one of the statues of Argonath! (The guardians of Gondor, those two HUGE statues that come on the poster of the second movie if you don't know) So stupid of me, but it cannot be changes now.