Sunday, November 06, 2005

As the crow flies

Just read the book, (actually two hours ago, is atleast, relatively, just)and it was one heck of a read. Kane and Abel was a very predictable one, and Quiver full of arrows was so cliched that I never liked Archer's style. As the crow flies has changed a lot. He can tell a story, and the only time I have read anything close to an original story by him. I hesitate to call it a story as it did not exactly have a plot, but was another example of a David Copperfield type of a book, which just goes through the entire life of a person. A very nicely written book, this one.

Things will stop making any mediocum of sense from here if you haven't read the book.

One of the things I noticed was the way he repeated himself when he told the story in different perspectives, and yet retained the interest of the reader. I only wish there was a section dedicated to Guy Trentham. Especially of his trial in India, if not for the occurances in Australia.
The chase to find Guy's daughter was beautifully done, even though I knew the outcome because I peeked. It was one of the most captivating segments in the entire book.
The initial setting of Becky in the Trentham's place brought back a wisp of memory that couldn't place for some time, until I realised it was similiar to Code to zero by Ken Folliet. That too, I realise now, was just the life story of one individual. There is no dearth of such books, as I posted a few posts ago. Damn. Would be nice to make up my own one. I think I like fictitious biographies.

Glancing through the Indian penal code. It is a punishable offence to spread infection to someone. I will promise, more dirt to follow in the next few hours.

No comments: