Saturday, November 05, 2005

Padma ajji's death

It is a weird feeling to find out that someone is dead for some two months, who you are absolutely certain was alive. It is really a terrrible loss to know that you will never see a person again. My interaction with Padma ajji has always been restricted, mostly because she being in the slightly outer circle of relatives, I never made it to her place often. The last time I saw her, I remember taking a good hard look, just to etch the image in my mind, not knowing when I would see her next. It strikes me now that I will always remember her in that slightly wrinkled maroon saree with a rich gold border, and a pleasant, Julia Roberts smile. Damn she is dead. Don't have uch memories of her, except her pleasure in serving me food. This, I guess, as I have already blogged, is the pleasure of pretty much everyone in the family. it was in her house, in the VCR that I first watched the animated version of the Jungle Book. I remember getting addicted to the bare necessities, which is a favorite song till date, and which I, till recently, had on my mobile phone that hasjust met its demise. I also enjoyed watching the entire movie backwards, which was amusing to me. Watched the movie the second time I ended up there, never watched it since. Have to get myself a copy of the movie.

Padma ajji died two months ago, and I came to know this in passing. My father was apparently informed early, but he never told me. no matter how much I try, I cannot think of anything else about her... cannot recall any other memories. She was just always there, on every visit, to wellcome me with some sweets and show me photographs. One of her last projects was a collage of family photographs. Wonder if she ever completed it.

"You got enough nice pictures?"
~ from the movie Meet Joe Black

Yeah! remembered something... her laugh. A small, high pitched laughter, she usually laughed at everything I said, that's why it stands out. Like saying you were doing a tough course was a joke to her. No nothing else right now.

Damn I miss her, wish I'd come to know her better. No apt ending... so there's the quote.

"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome."
-Isaac Asimov

No comments: