Thursday, November 03, 2005

Trouble with Travelling in a city infested with relatives

Might as well give titles that are relevent to the post instead of thigns like "stuff" and "about today" or "what I have just learnt" which would be generic titles for just about any post on any blog. The only problem is to focus enough to keep the post relevent to the title once that is written. Stupid Blogger uses <em> instead of <i> tags to italicise. Anyway, back to the trouble with travelling in a city infested with relatives, which for me, would be Bangalore. Actually, there are not many, and I am having the time of my life here, but there is one small thing about food.
Apparently, it becomes an insult to the household if you enter or leave it without stuffing anything down your oesophagus. Therefore, if you go around the city dropping into people's houses, you get plenty stuffed down your oesophagus, and your poor stomach and intestines have to accomodate all the extra stuff. Yesterday, I had to breakfasts. Today, was even worse. First, what I think was vegetable rice with milk rice (the curd wasn't done because of the climate) as my first breakfast. Then, as my second breakfast was akki roti. That's this really nice pancacke sort of thing made with coconut and crushed rice. I think. It also happens to be very large. With ghee and chutni pudi. Soma masala, I donno the name in English. My first lunch was some sort of huli which was made new, but had old vegetables in it. then there was the milk-rice, which was to be curd, but the curd wasn't made because of the climate.
There was a second lunch, at another home (nice to have many places you can call home), which had four chapatis, tomato gojju, another weird vegetable gojju that I did not recognize, some chutni pudi, potato veggies, sambhar with rice, and I was too full to have curd rice and find out if the milk had really turned to curd here despite the climate.

I am looking forward to dinner.

2 comments:

Goan Pao said...

gawd your lucky u just gotta eat, and you dont have many relatives.
I come from a village in goa where every person is related to me either from my fathers or mothers side. And whats even worse is people expect you to have atleast a beer. Jeez I gotta prepare a month in advance every time I plan to go down there...

Anorion said...

Lol. I just drop in (and eat). BTW, for dinner, I had Chcolate Mousse, Sambhar Rice, fruit custard, and vanilla ice-cream coated with cocoa powder.

Some dinner eh? No beer though :(