Saturday, December 17, 2005

More visions

Actually I learnt much more than opening a cola bottle with my teeth from Visions. I learnt about people, about life, and most of all, just at the brink of non-realisation of perhaps a very important lesson - of motivation.
People do things that are outright outrageous and they do it to protect their egos even when they know that people are going to look at them as egocentric. As long as they can use their power to pull strings and keep themselves secure - they don't care what happens to the rest of the world.
Guess everyone does this to some extent, but when two such egos clash pandemonium ensues. At visions, many did.
Two weeks or so of working together, brought me close to people I am never going to see again. We all said goodbye with a hug, but I realised that it was a real goodbye. We might bump into each other again sometime, but from people who were pretty close friends we are back to being almost strangers. Like long forgotten classmates you MIGHT meet some time in the future. All the affection that we had for each other HAD to be expressed in the few short hours post visions - and that is why EVERYONE broke down or was close to. These are the times I guess I will get most nostalgic about - the memories are already fading from my mind. It is a shock that the whole thing got over.
Learnt about how to work with people - about how to handle them - about how to tell them they are wrong without hurting their all important egos or blaming them - which is a very difficult thing to do, but nontheless, an important skill.

Learnt that I am REALLY fast at typing. People came up to me and told me I was hard working just because of that. Someone even proposed marriage in the distant future. Most of them were incredulous of my speed, but word autocorrected me so there were very few goof ups. When they needed something to be typed really fast, they came to me.

Learnt how to handle stress - how to work when you are given ten things at once - how to prioritise on the fly - make lightning quick decisions on what to work on - exactly when to leave the work half finished and move on - and how to explain myself later when I choose my own way to follow somewhat conflicting directions.

Learnt how to please people - how to comply with backseat drivers without actually doing what they are saying - and how to get work done giving the people the illusion of non-control.

Probably learnt the most from this short stint at Visions than all my years of education. Practical expirience makes more difference than anyone who hasn't expirienced it can ever attribute to it.

1 comment:

filterkaapi said...

GUDs FORs Us.