Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Teacher's marriages

Its not everyday that your teacher gets married, but it happens every now and then and there is this slightly different atmosphere created in the class which leaves room for you to pull the leg of your prof. I am planning to do it to my prof who is engaged, but there is this whole history of teacher's marriages...

There was a lot of hulabaloo surrounding the marriage of my physical education teacher called Sunil sir. Sunil more I think, but the name slips from my mind. All the students were congradulating him, and there was a lot of noise in the air as he had just returned from the honeymoon. The word 'Honeymoon' at that point of time, was equivalent to something like 'fart'. Just about embarrassing enough to make the kids burst out laughing... because of what little we understood of what exactly happened during the marital celebration.
I guess I understood more than my teachers gave me credit, because I was then practising for the investiture ceremony for becoming the school captain for the primary section, and I told the Sir "Sir baccha paida hua to school leke aana". (If you get a kid, bring it to school). Apparently this wasn't a good idea, because this teacher scolded me like hell, and then I was in her black books for a long time. I was pretty confused over why what I had said was wrong. actually, still pretty wooly over that - guess i was too youn to pass such a remark or something.

Earlier than that was the supposed engagement of my pre-primary teacher. The class burst out giggling when her boyfriend came in. At that time, having a boyfriend was an atrocious thing. This was too long ago for me to bring back any further memories.

Even my mother had stories to tell of her professors. The unique case probably was where a prof was getting married to a student in his class. This is something scandelous probably even today, but it is not what you thing. The marriage was arranged. The brother of the student was a prof in the same college, and he set up the marriage of his sister with his colleague. Apparently, the class made the prof blush by catcalling and hooting everytime he took her name during rollcall. His defense mechanism was to skip her name, which nontheless resulted in even louder hoots and catcalls.

I am so going to find a way to pull my prof's leg. Report tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thanx, this got me to laugh and giggle as i wasnt in the greatest of moods. good write up adi, keep writing such 'less intellectual' articles also once a while. walking down the memory lane is always the best way to dig humour and re-structure it. got me my skool days back :)