Monday, March 13, 2006

An amazing day for sports

I knew there was the Bahrain Grand Prix today as I had been adviced to watch that... my mom wanted to watch the India Vs England match, so I skipped fighting for Iqbal and watched the match. India had all the major wickets down, and was still chasing the three hundred. Made it past that even though they weren't expected to cross two hundred. Didn't really understand much of the implications, so I went to sleep instead. Got up, saw the end of Hungama, and decided that I was too cool to watch other people play around in a stadium, and went and wrote about diplodoci instead. A decision I will live to regret for a long time. Maybe I should start watching sports after today.



So the exams were tomorrow (today now), and Chirag and I thought it was high time we went and purchased ourselves some tectbooks. Only glitch in the plan was that the said textbooks were unavailable in a few book stores, so we talked mostly about shit, and ended up coming home empty handed, when I recieve a call from a mutual friend, Bidisha.



Get the picture ok, chirag and I are on this scooter, whizzing through the traffic, and over the phone, an excited voice is informing us that there are four balls to go, and two runs for SA to win. Apparently Australia broke all previous records in ODI history and went ahead and broke the four hundred barrier. Then SA went right ahead and sucessfully chased it to a point where they were two runs short.


Brett Lee has the ball, and guess what? A wicket falls! A wicket, at this juncture, brings in a whole knew element... the SAs have only one wicket at hand. All three of us were too excited to speak coherently at this point of time. The batsman walked up. Bidisha said he didn't look too confident with himself. Brett Lee had just taken a wicket. He had only three balls to ball. I replied with a "obviously, he is the tenth man..."


The tenth man was on strike. Bidisha gave me the commentry, and I passed it on to Chirag. Brett Lee was running... and we started placing bets. I bet that Brett Lee would take a wicket. Didn't know what was happening, and bet that the SA will win too. Lee delivered and the SAs scored a run.


Now the teams were even. Two balls to go. One run to win. Brett Lee had the ball.


Guess what the SAs did? They sent the second last ball of the innengs to the boundry! They chased a record to create one of a whopping 448!


And closer back home, the Indians bowled the shit out of the English... 116 for five, an AMAZING tally... though that cricket was not nearly half as good as the SA/Aus match.


To top it all, Alonso won at f1 today. Was rooting for him at random... guess will randomly pick a team before every race, and root for it to win. At the end of the season, the team that wins will also win my fandom. Pussy way to go about it, but if I am going to be a fan now, might as well root for the winners.


And oh yeah, exams in five hours and twenty minutes.

3 comments:

PerfumesReviewer said...

dooooooooooooode. jaane de.... the matches were cool excitmement was cool... spare a thought fot the dead and buried bowlers...
10 0 113 0... bechara Lewis

Mihir said...

yaa... bowlers did have a nightmare... but seriously a gr8 day 4 sports and sports fan!!!

Anorion said...

@gng: yah man, ubercool matches
@mihir: you will have had a gala time