Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Rendezvous with Rama

Just read the Arthur C Clarke book. Don't know what else to do for the afternoon. It is the story about a visitor from the stars with an unknown purpuse that just passes through the system. Clarke has also written three sequels, have read two of them, but they spoil a lot of what happens in Rama. The last book goes ahead and reveals the bloody purpose of Rama, which is the only predictable thing in the entire series. The series is a must read though, better than the foundation series by Asimov I assume.



The spaceship/(artificial) Asteroid was named Rama because the world had run out of names from Roman, Greek, Celetic and Nordic pantheons (according to the book). Wonder when this will actually happen, and I googled this out but as of now, with the exceptions of hindi parallels for western names (Like Chandra for the Moon), there are no celestial bodies with entirely Indian names. High time that happened I guess.


All this space talk reminds me of my first shooting star. It was like a small streak in the sky, which lasted for less than a second. Started me blogging... nice thing to see, but pretty rare in Mumbai. I guess they are pretty common in villages. Might go to a few such places this vacations.

No comments: